Join us each season as we run a new series of Building Blocks.
Our series are facilitated by our unique team of therapists.
Check out our topics below!
EACH SESSION IS HELD AT JOURNEYS SATURDAY MORNINGS AT 9AM-11AM.
Please register 48 hours in advance (each Thursday prior) to ensure a spot.
Contact therapist below for the latest dates and groups for Building Blocks.
Are you wanting to…
- Create momentum in your individual, family or couples work?
- Find a cost-effective alternative to individual or family work?
- Practice emotional and relational skills?
- Establish or sustain healthy boundaries?
- Create more safe places in your life?
Life’s challenges can be exhausting, and our coping strategies can be overwhelmed. When we are looking for ways to get unstuck, it can be helpful to learn and practice new skills. If you are looking for a cost effective way to gain new tools in managing your stressors, Building Blocks is uniquely designed for you. If you are engaged in a supportive role for someone in your life who is struggling emotionally, Building Blocks are a way for you to refuel and recalibrate.
Building Blocks Can Help
Our highly qualified team of therapists have put together six Building Block sessions chock full of all the information that therapists wish clients could have before their first individual session. Utilizing information from up-to-date research on trauma, self-care, depression, anxiety, and relationships, these sessions teach the skills that help us all function as healthier adults. These sessions are basic enough that they can be helpful even if you have had no counseling experience and are robust enough to help even highly trained caregivers or leaders.
Overview of Sessions
Confidence, Clarity & Calm Through Mindfulness
- Learn what mindfulness is and how it can improve many areas of your life.
- Learn skills for improving your awareness, attitude, and ability to understand and respond to your experiences.
- Reduce anxious feelings, negative self talk, and physical suffering.
- Gain confidence by practicing mindfulness meditations with skilled therapists
Managing Intense Emotion
- Understand the mind-body connection, and how you can make it work for you
- Enjoy first hand experiences of emotion regulation
- Have fun trying new techniques
- Learn practical applications for daily use
Emotional and Relational Safety
- Identifying the goals of safety with examples of life situations
- Resilience and coping strategies to create safety
- How to determine whether someone is “unsafe”
Creating Resilience to Shame
This is Part Two of a two-part educational classes for adults (18+) looking for practical ways to create positive change in every area of life. A licensed therapist will present the latest research on a given topic and will provide participants with different skills and techniques that can be easily integrated into everyday life.
MODULE 1 – UNDERSTANDING MY SHAME STORY
- Discuss the difference between guilt and shame
- Discover why it is important to recognize shame
- Go over the biological and emotional indicators of shame
- Explore how to develop shame resilience
MODULE 2 – UNDERSTANDING MY SHAME STORY
- Module 2 will take the principles from Module 1 & help you apply them more specifically to your story (ie. understanding more about your own individual shame story). Must have taken Module 1 earlier that day or previously.
- Use a narrative approach with guided prompts & discussions to help participants start to answer for themselves questions like:
- As I look at my story, when do I notice I first start experiencing shame?
- What story does shame to try to tell me about myself today?
- How do my current shame responses interact with my shame narrative?
- How can I start to change my own story?
DEVELOPING HEALTHY COMMUNICATION AND BOUNDARIES
- Identifying healthy ways of communicating feelings, needs, and requests
- Defining boundaries and their benefits
- Discussing the signs of unhealthy boundaries
- Explore how to establish healthy boundaries
CREATING A SELF-CARE & SELF-SOOTHING PLAN
- Explore unhealthy vs healthy self care strategies
- Consider the barriers to caring for yourself
- Create your personalized fight/flight rescue kit
- Understand what the brain needs to regulate once it is in flight/fight mode
- Utilizing the materials provided, choose your own colors, images, scents, and containers
Contact a Journeys Therapist
We generally recommend scheduling a specialized assessment with a trusted Journeys counselor to evaluate what your child or family’s specific needs are, as well as determining best the options for treatment and more precise answers to the questions you may have about the process. The Journeys team strives to provide you with the best fit professionally, and will happily direct you to the counselor with the best personality, expertise and approach for your family.
Click on the therapists below to schedule a consultation or check out our team to connect with a therapist that’s right for your situation.
Need help? Contact our administrative manager here with any questions, concerns or to be matched with a therapist that is best suited for you and your family’s needs.
Meet Our Team Speak to our client coordinator